WORD BY WORD

All riled up and no place to unload: food, religion, foreign policy, literature, and other stuff that gets me going, plus a little dash of omphaloskepsis

12 March 2006

Why atheists are, quite simply, superior beings

Excellent opinion piece by Slavoj Zizek in today's NY Times explaining why atheists should not be faulted for feeling morally superior in these days of Jihad vs. Crusade:

Fundamentalists do what they perceive as good deeds in order to fulfill God's will and to earn salvation; atheists do them simply because it is the right thing to do. Is this also not our most elementary experience of morality? When I do a good deed, I do so not with an eye toward gaining God's favor; I do it because if I did not, I could not look at myself in the mirror. A moral deed is by definition its own reward.

Why aren't there more atheists?

4 Comments:

Blogger B A R T said...

I don’t believe in magic
I don’t believe in i-ching
I don’t believe in bible
I don’t believe in tarot
I don’t believe in hitler
I don’t believe in jesus
I don’t believe in kennedy
I don’t believe in buddha
I don’t believe in mantra
I don’t believe in gita
I don’t believe in yoga
I don’t believe in kings
I don’t believe in elvis
I don’t believe in zimmerman
I don’t believe in beatles
I just believe in me
Yoko and me (well... not Yoko)
And that’s reality

4:41 PM  
Blogger emb said...

Am I the only one who likes Yoko?

4:57 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I like her in principle. Her music, not so much.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What music? I only heard screaming.
To jump from Yoko to atheism: finally somebody says something nice about atheists and I don't agree. Bummer! I don't think anybody does good deeds. Whatever you do, you want to do to satisfy one of your own needs. If that need is: to contribute to another person's well-being, it may SEEM like a good deed. That is as close as you will ever get to a good deed. I'm glad because good deeds sound bad to me.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home