WORD BY WORD

All riled up and no place to unload: food, religion, foreign policy, literature, and other stuff that gets me going, plus a little dash of omphaloskepsis

13 April 2006

We are what we eat


...and what we eat eats. Which, by the way, is mostly corn, stripped of its nutrients and transformed into things like icing and chicken McNuggets. My epic article about Michael Pollan's new book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, went up Tuesday. Reading his book, which is currently #1 on Amazon, was so eye-opening and depressing that it caused me to sob all the way through the last hour of King Kong. I mean, Naomi Watts was good and all, but what I was really weeping for was humankind's rape and subjugation of nature. I think this stuff has really gotten to me. Once you open your eyes to what industrial agriculture is doing to the land, our health, and the animals it treats like widgets of protein, you can't close them again.

We have to look. We have to ask questions. The FDA and the USDA are not looking out for us, and neither is Whole Foods or Trader Joe's (whose chickens contain traces of arsenic, by the way). It's hard, but it's not that hard: Pollan persuaded me that even when there's not a best choice, there's still a better choice one can make. Is it expensive? Americans spend the smallest percentage of their incomes on food than any industrial nation. We spend half as much as we did in the 1950s, but twice as much on health care proportionately. Where's it all going? Is cable more important than good food? Than our health?

So, I'm thinking of starting a new blog with which to channel all my frustration and curiosity about what I should eat. My friend Sarah may join me. We'll write reviews of Bay Area restaurants that serve organic produce, and we'll hunt down studies like this one that reveal whose organic milk actually has "happy cows" making it.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Europe subsizes their farmers so they can continue to grow food more expensive but also more (earth / people / animal) friendly traditional methods. I suspect that is why a friend and I have no issue with certain foods in Europe, but cannot eat the same foods from the Unietd States.

Just as organic milk producers don't all have happy cows, producers of free-range chicken and eggs have considerable leeway when qualifying. "Free-range" may mean that there is a small exit from the windowless sheds that allows the chickens to venture into an enclosed yard. (That info is from a CNN interview with a spokesperson for the National Chicken Council.)

I am interested in writing about the Pacific Northwest for the blog that you mention. Why the interest? Because I am the grandson of Idaho small farmers, have a twenty-plus-year relationship with healthy foods, a longer relationship with bad foods, and experience in the natural food industry.

11:58 AM  
Blogger emb said...

Oh yeah? Well I'm gonna start a new blog about how much you rule! I love your idea, you're my hero! Maybe I can cover Austin!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

Well, I'm sure I am cheating death (again) but every-once-in-a-while I have a need for a grease-laden "Ultimate Cheeseburger" and an Oreo Shake. Goddamn it - I love them so....

10:20 AM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

You mean you like to have some corn with your corn, with a side helping of suffering?

Just kidding. Well, not really. I dare you to read this and see if you still crave those burgers...

10:28 AM  
Blogger Ron said...

Ok - ok, you win!
Hold the beef and cheese and make the bun cracked wheat. Oh, and forget the mayo and give it a light coat of soy butter.... and, for a pleasant desert, top it off with a soy protein brownie spiked with organically grown, sun dried grass...

I think I'm digging it!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Bonnie said...

I love mayo. And cheese. And beef! Never did develop a taste for tofu, and soybeans are almost as prevalent as corn now. You don't have to give up what you love, you just have to find the real, non-engineered versions of it.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home